Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched titles but didn't find anything right off so forgive me if this is redundant and has been done before. But after searching and looking at videos, there is no way putting a chain around a tree and lifting a box up that high is as easy as it looks, so I came up with an alternative. Hope is helps folks trying to get a swarm trap up "in" a tree. (You do need a ladder though to place the box on the platform)

Materials

8' post ($5 at HD)
2x2 sheet plywood (cut to a bit bigger than a deep)
2' length of 2x3
2 hinges
a big freakin nail
brown paint
6 10-24 nut/bolts
6 1" wood screws
1 screw on handle for carrying ( find center of gravity by balancing on a piece of wood)
3 adjustable straps - 2 to secure the post around the tree, and 1 to secure the box to the platform

I put this together in about 30 minutes, not including the time to paint

Once the post is strapped to a tree, the platform can be leveled by moving the support arm and using a nail to select one of several holes that are drilled in the side of the post. Insert the nail and it is secure.

Its important to offset the hinge for the support arm, as the arm must go along side of the post, not in the center of it, as the arm swings and is adjustable for leveling. The end of the arm needs to be cut at a 60 degree angle to allow clearance to the bottom of the platform when its moved to the max "up" leveling position.

Photos are pretty self explanatory.

Hope this helps someone.

Mike

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,796 Posts
Brilliant, and simple. Thanks for sharing. With as many hurricanes as we get along the east coast, it is difficult to find a hardwood tree that does not lean a little.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't climb trees, and I don't use ladders unless I have to, so my swarm traps are for the most part on the ground.

That said, I don't catch swarms either ... but I try.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Google "bird house on poll" and look at the pictures - get the idea.
The same works for the traps.
Strap the trap to some manageable length of wood (2x4 is fine) or a tree planting rebar.
Set it against the tree or attach to a fence or stand up in some bush - secure the poll upright however it fits the situation.
This is sufficient to have the trap within your reach above the ground (plenty high), and still high enough from the ground.

This being said, I have not been climbing the trees anymore.
The bait hives stand on the ground or attached to something within ground reach.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your welcome, its functional and cheap. My neighbors ( where I placed it) tell me there are scouts already checking it out after one day... nice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts