Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what is the proper distance to stay away from anothers apiary to install swarm traps?
I was told today of some bee yards that generate regular swarms and the commercial beek is too busy
to respond to calls about swarming bees...These arn't in populated areas but still of concern to the actual
land owners...If a swarm lands 1/4 mile from the generating hive is it fair game?? or is it hands off, and
just ok to put in a swarm trap 2 miles away?? I don't want to step on any toes, and was just wondering
what was the proper proceedure...:rolleyes:

==McBee7==

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Anything is fair game. In my book. Who is to say if they fine my trap or theirs. Just as long as it is on property that I have Yards on or have access to.
David

·
Registered
523 Posts
It really isn't about distance but more about if it stays on the property or not. In Texas, once that swarm leaves one property and enters onto another, it "belongs" to that new property owner. I'm sure most people wouldn't stop a beek in hot pursuit but if you aren't in hot pursuit, who's to say where the swarm came from? I've picked up a swarm at a house that likely came from hives in neighboring ag land and never thought to ask the beek if he wanted his swarm back... One of the funniest Craigslist ads I saw was a guy trying to sell "his" swarm that was hanging in a neighbors tree.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Stay off the property where the hives are located. Anything beyond that is fair game.

If I caught you in on of my yards without the landowners written permission a kindly word with the sheriff about trespassing would be in order. After a warning I wouldn't hesitate to have the sheriff cite you if you were fool enough to try again. I have gotten pretty firm when catching people trespassing because of some past issues where the original warnings went unheeded.

Last week I caught a "jogger" who was in the middle of a ranch when we went to load bees for the almonds. I asked him very kindly from whom he had received permission to be on the property. His answer to my question was that he was "just out jogging." I followed up with asking him if he had heard my question and if he could kindly answer my question. Deciding that I was serious he admitted that he hadn't received any. We then had a little discussion on trespassing after which I asked him to look at the camera on my phone while I took his photo. He complied and left with the knowledge that a recurrence of a trespass would be followed up with proof of the first violation. ( something the deputies in my county really don't appreciate being called about.)

I for one take the trespass on my landowners property more serious than on my own place. Its amazing how many people would feel violated if I camped out on their front yard or walked in their house but have no problem entering someone's place like they own it. Get permission or stay out...

In the case of swarms I personally would not enter the property where another guys bees are located. To do so would be a open invitation to ........... well.... shall we say.... Problems!!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
The ranch where my outyard is has been in the family for 100+ years. The owner tried unsuccessfully to raise bees years back and stops and watches mine fly every day when he goes past to check cattle. I suspect he'd call me if he noticed a swarm (I got turned onto the site by his son-in-law because of a swarm in an abandoned building). The last trespassers came from a bordering high $ residential neighborhood, crossed a back fence looking for a lost bird, and were greated by the old man toting a shotgun. Dumbies argued with him that they had a "right to come looking" and they were marched out the front drive to the highway and had a long 3 mile walk back home.

I've had a few calls in residential areas where someone wants me to get a swarm out of a neighbors tree and even then I ensure we've got permission to step into the front yard and retrieve it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Anywhere that isn't on their property is fair game.

Bottom line is there is no way to prove where any given swarm came from, and if the swarm has left their property they have already lost their claim to it.

Now, it is usually considered POLITE to not set swarm traps up right across the street from an apiary, and if there is reasonable evidence (like the swarm having a marked queen in it) you would make more friends by offering to return a swarm, but you are under no obligation to do so.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Talk to the commercial beekeeper if he is not worried about collecting swarms he may just let you set traps up in the area.
It never hurts to talk to fellow beekeepers, he may even call you next time someone calls him about a swarm???

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I would not have much problem with swarm bait hives near my yards. now put some old frames with comb in them with the possibily of my bees picking up AFB. big problem as most beginners cannot identify afb.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Geez, what ever happened to polite communication? If the commercial guy is too busy and he isn't a total A-hole, I am sure he would have no problem letting you grab the swarms. If he isn't also the landlord find out who is, most reasonable people would be more than happy to let you set an empty box on their property. I can't ever remember anyone telling me no when I politely asked them and explained why and what I was doing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Talk to the commercial beekeeper if he is not worried about collecting swarms he may just let you set traps up in the area.
It never hurts to talk to fellow beekeepers, he may even call you next time someone calls him about a swarm???
Our state bee inspector sets up hives all over the area around my farm, and has given me an open invitation to set up traps and collect his swarms whenever possible. He has also referred folks to me for cutouts. Give the big time beek a shout, and I am sure you will find the relationship with someone like that beneficial.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts