Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

The two photos show the combs of a deadout I cleaned out of a swarm trap yesterday evening. I can't really find a cause of death, but there was a lot of moisture in the box. My intentions were to leave them alone for the winter, since they swarmed so late.

Please notice how nice and even the combs are. I didn't have any frames at the time, so I put top bars with triangle wedges in the box. There wasn't a single cross or brace comb.

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well, it's unfortunate that you lost this swarm, but you got some ncie comb out of the deal. thats worth something right there.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Looks like they starved. No honey or pollen best I can tell. I would leave it the way it is and hang it back up. Time for round two, good luck.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like they starved. No honey or pollen best I can tell. I would leave it the way it is and hang it back up. Time for round two, good luck.
There is about 25 pounds of honey that I will be harvesting and plenty of pollen. I did put the box back up. Robber bees were all over the honey combs before I placed them in a container, so I might get lucky again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts