• Mix it - Alcohol with dead queens

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I just built some new swarm traps and I was reading through the research on preparing them. I have historically used 1 deep box with one built frame and a frame or two of foundation and plenty of free space. These new boxes I built are six frame swarm traps with additional space below (40l).

I am a little behind because I will be painting them this weekend. (I want to have them placed by April 15th and I want to let the "new box smell" go away). So a poll for everyone ... (if I know how to do polls). Do you torch the inside of your new swarm traps, rub with wax, rub with propolis, rub with alcohol and dead queen bees or let it "air out".

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I just put a few frames of old comb in, and lemon grass scent. I don't have great success, one or two swarms a year for the last 4 years.

My very first swarm came into a 6-frame trap that was made out of wood I rescued from a burnt barn. The inside was a thick layer of charred wood. The bees didn't seem to mind. I never heard of deliberately scorching wood.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,554 Posts
No foundation if you already have drawn comb. Use empty frames to fill the spaces.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The bees don't care about the "new" smell. I used
new and old last year and it made no difference.
Caught swarms last year. Just added one frame old
comb, the rest empty frames and swarm commander.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts