Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a swarm call tonight from the local bee shop. They had gotten a call from a 78 year old lady via a 911 call. She lives alone and her grandson just died last week in a car crash in Burian WA and the funeral was today. The bee's were in a fruit tree. Needless to say I treaded lightly on asking to many questions before.

We got there and she led us to a stump with a table lid nailed on top of it. It was a fruit tree years ago. Maybe 20 years ago. It was about 4 feet tall and 28 inches around. We pulled off the table lid ripping out the nails and could not see any hive inside. But, we did see 4 honey bee's landing and going in a crack. It was 9 pm sun was setting but, still plenty light. Decided to push the stump and with some force it fell over. Still no mad bee's coming out.

So we picked it up and put it in the truck. Placed it in the front yard same direction as it was in her yard and we will see if there are bee's in it tomorrow when it gets light. Never took the whole tree before we will be surprised when we get bee's tomorrow. :lpf:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
sounds like scout bees. you may be too early. good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it is a small swarm. Got up this morning and there was a pile of bee's on the bottom of the stump. We are going to move them into a hive in a few. Bringing the whole stump home was better then using the bee vac. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I got a call yesterday about a "huge" swarm from an older lady. She said that bees were every where and she was scared to go out of the house. Needless to say I was rather excited about collecting up a nice, big swarm. While talking to her she said that they had landed and they were on the soffit of her 2 story house. I agreed to take them and left to get them. When I got there, I could see a swarm, but not nearly what she made them sound like, there were maybe 1000 bees, if that. Having driven 45 minutes to get them, I swallowed hard and collected up the swarm. She was nice enough to then tell me that 2 weeks ago she had a swarm in a tree that was the size of a gallon milk jug, and another that was even bigger! Now she has my card and I am waiting til next year to get the bigger swarms!
I guess sometimes things dont go how we hope, but planting the seed will always help!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nice work Buzz. It doesn't get any easier than that, unless they land in your swarm trap.
Good luck with them! Thanks for sharing it with us!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
NY BLUES, that location is a good place for a swarm trap. good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
"there were maybe 1000 bees, if that. Having driven 45 minutes to get them, I swallowed hard and collected up the swarm."

You could have the opposite problem. I went to collect a small swarm "on the ground". Took a nuc box and found they quickly covered the box completely. Long story short, I made 2 more tips home (bad estimation on my part) and wound up with a full two deep hive box full as well as over 100 miles. As it was now 10pm had to go back the following day to pick them up off the curb sidewalk.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
They have snuggled in to the hive and seem to like it. Better then that dirty tree. I gave them two frames of drawn comb so that should make it quicker for them to start laying. Put in a feeder and they are off to the races.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts