Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Puzzled by what I found today. Population down and lack of eggs and larvae. Just some capped brood. Figure it swarmed. Found 2 capped swarm cells at bottom of frame, but also found 2 that appeared they were taken d own,not hatched from or attacked from the side. Lower half just gone. To add to the mystery ( to me anyway ), I found one very large capped supercedure cell on middle of a frame and a capped cell on the top bar which is new to me. Whatever is going on doesn't look normal to me and maybe desperate to make a queen. I closed it up thinking there might be a virgin in there. Swarmed and first virgin didn't make it? J

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last inspected 16 days ago. Interesting. Through inspection including cleaning bottom bars. No signs of swarm prep. I should note that I marked the queen at the time and she escaped under the cage and smeared some paint on her wing. Maybe they didn't like that. Hive acts quietness. J

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Both. I've seen it a few times at the end of the Main Flow.
They start off with Supersedure Cells, then decide to swarm as well.

One hive did Supersedure at the same time at the end of the Main Flow each year for a few years. Found the Queen getting balled one year, or dead in front of the hive.

Here are photos of frames where it was a Supersedure and Swarm, notice only one Queen Cell is fully drawn:
http://daveybees.wikidot.com/supersedureorswarm

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't believe so Frank. There was some capped worker brood and some, but not a lot of drone cells. Not experienced, but the cells look like classic supercedure and swarm cells. Thanks Matt. Only thing I can think of is they decided to do both or changed their minds at least once. No idea. Scratching my head. J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts