Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a swarm June 19th. They only had three frames drawn out last week starting on their fourth and fith frames. I know we are in a draught so I fed them 1:1 syrup. The top feeder holds about a gallon and a half. Today it's gone and I looked to see how they were doing. Not much progress at all except most of the frames were filled in with syrup not leaving much room for the queen to lay. I gave them a frame of capped brood. My thoughts are that the brood would hatch out giving her room to lay. I was thinking about not putting syrup back on them. Is my thinking correct? I have seen the Queen, there are eggs, larvae and capped brood. (Before adding the frame) Also they are in one deep box with ten frames rite cell foundation from Mann Lake. Thanks Hoss

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
How big was swarm in June? Still have the same amount of bees, or more?

>I caught a swarm June 19th, had three frames drawn out last week
That is very slow. Unless it's small.

>I have seen the Queen, there are eggs, larvae and capped brood.
Nice tight pattern? Got pictures?

>I gave them a frame of capped brood
Good.

Do you have any empty frames? Put one right in the middle of the brood nest.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They swarm wasn't huge. I don't have pictures,she is laying in a tight grouping not skipping around. I didn't put any empty frames in the middle of the brood nest just the capped brood frame. Which had some workers hatching on the frame. I could but a frame of just foundation in the middle. I could also grab a frame of capped honey from one of the other hives. I don't have deep frames of just drawn out comb. Hoss

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Sounds like they just need more bees and bigger brood nest.

If you have the resources I would add a few more frames of brood with the bees on them (if you have 3 or 4 that would get them to size instantly), if there filling comb with syrup then a frame of honey won't do them any good (just more a small population will have to guard against beetles).
A frame with brood and pollen might also be a good idea if they are low on pollen.

>I could but a frame of just foundation in the middle.
Yes and with the extra bees they should draw quicker, and continue to feed until they are ready for winter.

·
Super Moderator
10,457 Posts
i haven't seen much pollen coming in for the past week or so, but generally speaking there's not been as pronounced of a dearth here this summer as in previous years.

i inspected a hive today that i though was dwindling because it's the only one without a beard by afternoon on these hot days. turns out there were about 5 frames of healthy capped brood in there. :) looks like they are alright, just a caught swarm that was little slow getting started.

i didn't see the queen, but there was a little uncapped brood and a few recently hatched eggs. i didn't see any unhatched eggs at all, but i am attributing this to the pollen dearth and that most of the nest is plugged out with capped brood. the plan is to check back in 2 or 3 weeks to make sure there is a laying queen there.

i saw the first goldenrod blooming recently, so hopefully the fall flow will be starting up pretty soon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did see two bees with pollen sacs full on one of their three frames it was a bright orgAnism yellow. So maybe the found some Golden Rod. I will give them someone frames of capped brood then. To help them boost their numbers. Thanks guys! HOSS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts