Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was Wondering if swarm size has been used as an indicator to determine what size of brood nest the swarm queen will maintain.
what I am saying is will a queen from a large swarm keep a large brood nest . And will a queen from a small swarm keep a small brood nest.
Let me say that this is just a question so please keep rude answers to your self. thanks Johns Bees

·
Registered
213 Posts
Large ones are usually primary swarms and the little ones are after swarms. you can get more than a few swarms from one hive. Ive seen two little ones combine and there was 2 queens in the mix, I caught a big swarm in my neighbors yard and there was a small one 4 ft away from it. You never know with bees,,,,Pete,,N3SKI

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
le t me first say that swarm size has no determination on the size of a brood chamber or the queens ability or tendency to lay eggs.

Second What do you consider rude answerer? one man's trash is another man's treasure. Please define so I will know in the future.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
A small virgin queen in a small afterswarm may make the biggest hive you've ever seen... or not. There is no connection whatsoever in that sense. A large primary swarm may be an indicator of a prolific queen who left with the swarm of bees she laid and may (or may not) continue to be a prolific queen who will make for a large brood nest... but then it's really the bees who determine that, not the queen. In other words it's doubtful that a really large swarm came from a queen who isn't prolific... and in that sense there could be a loose relationship...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts