Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to make this short. Last Thurs I found a hundred bees in my garage, they found some hive bodies inside, uncovered.. whoops! I shut door, but they kept congregating, I set a hive body out there, they seemed to have moved in. Acted like a swarm, rubbing all over, etc. Later in evening, the #'s increased to a few hundred, gone at 10pm. Next day 8am, lots of bees at hive, hundreds. Thru day numbers increase. 5pm, huge swarm covers trash can that hive body was on, obvious swarm. They move in and are cleaning comb, very happy. Side note: Not my own bees that swarmed into box! These are very dark colored compared to my italians, some have pure black abdomens, pretty neat.

I cant leave hive body where it is next to garage. I have 4 package hives in back yard 50 ft away. I asked some very seasoned beeks what to do about the move, of course two sets of advice. 1: move them at night to 2miles away, bring back in a few weeks same way. 2: move them at night 50' away, they'll smell their hive/queen and all will be fine. I went for 2, added some ferns to entrance to semi-obstruct as I've read. It was rainy today, I was hoping it would slow them down.

This morning I find a dozen or more bees buzzing at garage door where hive was, I was not surprised. Fearing swarm box swarmed again, I opened up inner cover, tons of bees inside, but I realized I didn't add last frame in hive, big burr comb chunk. I shake off bees cut off burr comb, shut up hive. I look over to garage. The bees I shook are now at garage. It's obvious this 50' move isn't working.

I can't leave hive next to garage door. Was I premature in moving the hive back to garage too quick? Would they have found their hive 50' back eventually?
My one beek who gave me advice 2: said that queen isn't laying and they are stuck on the garage corner scent, thats why they went there, he thought if I moved it 2miles away they'd be gone today.

For now the box is going to stay next to the garage until I can figure things out. I don't want to lose the swarm by doing something wrong.

Of course any advice is appreciated.

Brad
Michigan

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You can move it 5-10 feet each night until you get it where you want it. Or, screen the entrance after dark and move them several miles away for a few days, then move them back home. I've tried the reorientation with tree limbs etc. Didn't work. Once they have established a home, their little GPS is locked in on that site.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts