Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The swarm season is over here, but a few swarms contiunue to surface. And these are not after swarms. Picked up a nice 3 pound swarm today, with my bee vac. Only killed maybe a dozen bees! HA! They abscounded this afternoon, but are in one of my swarm traps. I will put them in a hive body tomorrow (AGAIN!). I missed a swarm last week, at a Popeye's Fried Chicken, that the manager said was sizable. When I got there, there was only 2 bees buzzing around. Mostly, all the calls coming in, are for cut outs, which I do not have time to do. The swarms moved into eaves and walls, and the people are just now finding them. I also have to run to Louisiana, Wednesday, to pick up a swarm trap that is full, over there. I have sure picked up a lot of swarms this spring.

·
Registered
206 Posts
So what is your total swarm count for the year thus far? I got five which is better than none!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Swarms have slowed down here in Cali too, but my swarm count is at 38 for this year. Missed one yesterday thanks to work (again), but got one a week and a half ago off of a wall in Stockton.

C2

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I seriously lost count. I think it is in the neighborhood of a couple dozen. I did a lot of combines, so I can't just go out and count hives. I also ended up with 3 nucs, out of the deal. I used my bee vac to to put the bees in another hive body, this morning. Left the top and bottom of the vac, on the hive body, and stapled a piece of queen excluder across where the suction hose goes. This is now the entrance. I am going to leave it on for a few days, until I think the colony will not swarm on me again. Running across the state line, into Louisiana, to get the trap full of bees, in the morning. This is going to amount to a cutout. At least I am not taking a wall out of a house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts