Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the swarm season is for me in new england? I was so jealous of all of you talking about swarms it was driving me nuts. This is going to be my first year and my bees i ordered aren't going to be here till near the end of may. I built a swarm trap/w lure and yeah it has only been 2 days but i'm watching and waiting as well as hoping! I figure it will be like fishing sometimes you come up dry.

The trap is set up ~6 feet up near a tree facing south. It is acually a deep, bottom board with iner and telospoing top held together with a strap if it needed to get moved full, the frames inside are new wired foundation and the lure is the one i bought from better bee.

Is there anything i could do better other than hanging out a mini remax sign out in front of it?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,182 Posts
Sounds like a likely swarm trap. The lure or some lemongrass essential oil helps a lot. It's a lot like fishing. Even if you do everything right you might not get any. Even if you do most things wrong you sometimes get some.

Mine end up about the same. I try to get eight or ten feet up if I can, but often it's not convenient.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Sounds like you are ready. Now for the hard part, patience and more patience. Wishing you the best of luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I keep gettin stung man! I got red blotches everywhere! I swear to God, I'm at the market at least twice a week buying baking soda. Wearing shorts and a TShirt is not a good idea folks, take it from me.

But I am so mental for honey, though. I can't get enough of that stuff! I put it on everything - oatmeal, tea, ductwork - DEEE LISH!!!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Our Swarm season usually starts in May and runs through June. There will be a few late swarms in August from hives that become honey/pollen bound. If you want swarms don't wait for them to come to you. Contact your police dispatch and tell them you'll handle swarms. You'll have plenty to catch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts