Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a swarm trap sitting on the back deck about 75 yards from a couple of hives. It's a 5 frame nuc, baited. Today the wife calls me at work and says 50 or so bees were checking out the trap, flying all around it, in and out, landing on the sides and doing some waggle dancing. By the time I got home at 7pm there were just a few bees (3 or 4) still checking out the trap. What were they doing? There is a frame of drawn comb inside, LGO and swarm lure from Brushy Mnt. and that's it. I also had 4 frames of foundation in there but had to use them in another hive and haven't built any more frames to replace them. The comb is empty, no stores or pollen (it actually came from a split that I let starve last fall..:doh: ) I don't think they were foragers. Could they be swarm scouts?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Most likely scouts. We see this all the time in my dads back yard (caught 8 in that trap last year). 50 or so bees buzzing and landing and next thing you know here comes a swarm, might be an hour or a day or two but with that many scouts there is a pretty good chance a swarm is headed your way. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
50 or so bees buzzing and landing and next thing you know here comes a swarm, might be an hour or a day or two but with that many scouts there is a pretty good chance a swarm is headed your way. :thumbsup:
Agreed. They are sizing up the place. I bet you have a swarm move in very soon.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
So i go to the health food store in Covington Buff to get some LGO, and guess what, some guy bought all they had....jeez man. Can't share huh....LOL. I didnt think it was you...LOL, but some beek bought 4-5 bottles....my guess is that he thought he needed a bunch.

·
Registered
290 Posts
dvedog108, I just received an order from wfmed (their ebay store) that was recommended by others on here. 2 oz LGO, & 1 oz each Tea Tree, Spearmint & Thyme. Around $18 including shipping. Got my order in 3 days, but I'm in the same state.

Swarms generally start here in May, so I'm ripping down some old boxes for a couple of swarm nucs. Light colored paint or dark? They're going about 6 feet up in some trees & bushes.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
A real good sign that they are coming is fighting and killing each other. I beats me why they do that. Is it two hives competing for the same box or one hive arguing with one and other?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a few bees in all my traps, ALL the time. I also found wild comb hanging from the bottom of one swarm trap, but no swarm there! I guess they were drawn to the lure, but did not like the inside of the trap.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Thanks goose. I just try to buy local when i can....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts