Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a morning, I had my nuc that was housing one of my BWeaver queens swarm this AM. I grab a 10 frame box and some frames and run out to give the remaining bees more room. Just as I am walking out the door the swarm begins to take to the air again. I am thinking "they found a place already?" Much to my surprise half of the swarm returned to the nuc. I swapped boxes, giving them 5 more frames of foundation and by the time I was done the entire swarm had returned to the hive. Now while I realize this happened because the queen remained behind, I still consider it quite a blessing!! One looks at a swarm differently when you suspect it contains a $25 queen!:D

·
Registered
302 Posts
I agree with you on the 25.00, would hate to lose her so early! Glad it worked out for you !! :D

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx...however I have been keeping an eye on them all day since once a hive decides to swarm they usually pull it off. About an hour ago they swarmed again to the same spot only this time a t-storm rolled in 10 minutes later (so much for bees knowing when it is going to rain) I will be surprised if they survive the night.:(

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Night time is the best time to get a swarm. Get that swarm tonight after the storm and slap into a nuc or 10 frame and inspect the old nuc tomorrow. They will make it threw a rain storm just fine.

How long have you had them in that nuc? One thing about Weavers. Those girls lay like mad and you gotta give them some room.

Hope ya catch that $25. :D

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got up this morning, got everything together, was walking toward the swarm and just as I got there....they started leaving!:doh: Oh did I mention, another one of my hives swarmed this morning as well??:pinch: I give up!!:cry: My only advice is don't break your foot in April if you have bees!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts