Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are starting to get more calls about swarm pickup, so I wanted to kind of make a poll.

What do you guys like to use to dump the swarms in? 10 frame box? Nuc? cardboard box? bucket?

What do you use if you get called and don't have "proper equipment" with you?

Let's say I get called at work and need to pick up the bees on the way home. Can I just get a cardboard box and put a couple of sticks through it for the bees to gather on? If so and I don't have an extra hive to put them in, how long can I leave them in this sort of setup before transfering them? Would a rubbermaid container work better if I need to leave them longer? I realize they are going to build natural comb in this that will have to be dealt with later.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Anything that will contain them and provide enough ventilation that they don't overheat works. If they have access (an entrance) you can leave them in it forever.
It will be hard to inspect, of course. But you can do a cutout when you're ready.

I prefer to have a five, eight and ten frame box handy just because you never know how large it will be and how inaccessable it will be. A five frame box is easier to haul up a ladder with you, if the circustance are such that seems like a good idea. Usually, of course you cut the limb. I like the Hipps swarm retriever. I can get them out of a tree up quite a ways up without a ladder and, since it's ventialted, I can even take them home in it if I want, although I never have.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I was wondering about the same thing....

Lets say, you have to go up high on a ladder, wouldn't be a cardboard box or one of those light
willow, or woven baskets be easier to retrieve a hive and put in box later?

Michael,
do you have the box empty, or have the frames in when dumping swarm?
Konrad

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>do you have the box empty, or have the frames in when dumping swarm?

It depends on the circumstances. If I was climbing up a tree to put them in a box, I'd leave the frames out. If I was dumping them in a five frame box, I'd probably leave the frames out. If I was shaking them into a ten frame box I'd remove the middle frames. I try to have one or two drawn combs on the sides and foundationless frames in the middle so they can cluster.

>What's a Hipps swarm retriever?

http://www.beeequipment.com/products.asp?pcode=270

Of course you can make your own if you're inclined.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts