Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found two swarms today, close together in the same bush. Cut both out and kept separated. As I tried putting the larger swarm into a new hive body the bees went back to the hive that I suspect they came from. I guess I should have kept farther away?

After seeing that, I did move further away and put the smaller swarm into a deep hive body with frames.

I'm guessing that the hive where the swarm went back to will probably swarm again soon....??

Any helpful advice or insight will be appreciated,
T

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I've seen a divided swarm where, after hiving the main bunch, we watched the second cluster go back to the hive they swarmed from. I suspect they found they were just a queenless bunch of bees hanging around the top of a tree with no reason to go on, so they just went back where they came from.

Wayne

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had something similar last season. Two swarms several yards (8>10) apart. cut them out of the bush and put in deeps w/frames. This was noonish, later that afternoon, I saw:) one deep with the bees flying around it, I figured; well there they go and they did, stright to the other deep. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
yeah, they do have a mind of their own, don't they? And that generally works out better over the long run, than what we had planned for them. :lpf:
Regards,
Steven

1 - 4 of 4 Posts