Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long before a virgin queen in a swarm will start breeding? I have a swarm that has been in a hive for at least 6 days, they built a frame about 2/3 across of comb and are stacking in pollen and bee bread really heavy on the 3 frames of old comb I provided. But I am not seeing any sign of eggs. Just moved them to the house today and will be looking really hard for eggs in a few minutes. But was thinking the queen should have been laying by now.

Any ideas of how long I should wait.

·
Registered
201 Posts
How long before a virgin queen in a swarm will start breeding? I have a swarm that has been in a hive for at least 6 days, they built a frame about 2/3 across of comb and are stacking in pollen and bee bread really heavy on the 3 frames of old comb I provided. But I am not seeing any sign of eggs. Just moved them to the house today and will be looking really hard for eggs in a few minutes. But was thinking the queen should have been laying by now.

Any ideas of how long I should wait.
if its a virgin queen I think it take a couple weeks or so. my swarm had capped brood after 15 days maybe sooner just didn't check before that. I think its the old queen that swarms out. then the bees will replace her.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>How long before a virgin queen in a swarm will start breeding?

They often have confined her a few days, so she may fly out to mate in a day or two or a week or two. She usually starts to lay about 48 hours after that.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I likely messed up with these. They are building comb like crazy, and completely filling everything with honey and pollen. There is no empty patches more than a 10 cells across. The hive is really busy, almost frantic, and was very load. I need a few queen cells, so I placed a frame of mainly capped brood with a narrow row of eggs and larvae around the outside in the hive. Notched 5 cells with larvae about the size of the eggs.

Less than minutes later, the hive couldn't be heard outside and when I opened it up, there was no roar, load buzz or anything. The bees had completely covered the brood frame and had butts in the air. I think they are happy. Hope there was no virgin queen, but if eggs/larvae appear, I will cut these new queen cells out and start new nucs.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I would leave them alone. If anything give them a frame of eggs. A virgin queen in an after swarm is not likely to be laying for two weeks. You've only waited six days... I see no reason to expect any eggs for another 8 days and it could be another 15 days...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts