Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive with laying workers. They never did anything with the frames of brood I added three weeks straight so I've been waiting for a swarm. Caught one today. Should I be able to successfully do a newpaper combine of the two? Catching the swarm was really neat. They were on the ground cluster in tall grass and had been there all day. I put a medium box down with a frame of honey and some drawn frames with a little lemongrass oil and they marched right in in about 15 minutes. Very easy, very cool!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
In my experience it depends on the stregnth of the laying worker hive in proportion to the queenright swarm. if the swarm is much stronger it will work fine. If the laying worker hive is much stronger it will probably fail. Safer to shake out the laying worker hive and give the comb to the swarm. The workers will find their way to another hive. But any laying workers will be usurpers and not accepted "queens".

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Michael, I surely don't want to loose the swarm, but I had hoped to be able to make a new hive out of the other. I might wait for a really strong swarm before acting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts