Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that quarantine swarms, how long do you keep them in quarantine before moving into your apiary, and what is your thinking on the time period? Many thanks . J

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have never heard of 'quarantining' a swarm before putting it in the apiary. It makes perfect sense to, but most of the diseases and pests that ail beehives are pretty persistent and I'm not sure if it would really matter. I think the best thing to do would be tear that swarm apart looking for diseases if you are that concerned about it.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Akademee: Some members here have said that they do not hive swarms because of the threat of bringing in disease to their apiary and some members have said that they do hive swarms, but quarantine them before they bring them to their apiary. But I don't recall any discussion on how long they quarantine for and what they look for. I am assuming that they wait to inspect larvae or maybe a whole a brood cycle, but would like to hear from them to make sure I am not missing something. J

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
A very basic idea of having a quarantine yard works.
You take your swarms there and let them be.
Of course, such yard should not be congested, but rather sparsely populated.
Also such quarantine yard is best to be remote from people (you need a place to move hot bees anyway; with swarms never know what you get).

As for me - all my yards are, pretty much that - quarantine yards.
I caught them there - I keep them there, in general.

This year I have been moving swarms around however - well, because I had no bees left (there is nothing left to protect, LOL).
But again I am moving them far and apart to distribute around.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I had that much property Greg, but I don't. A friend might allow me to place some swarm hives at her property. It would go over better if I was able to tell her that they would be there for a specified amount of time and then I would get them out. I would think that 30 days might reveal obvious problems. But then again a low level of EFB would be difficult to detect. J

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I wish I had that much property Greg, but I don't. A friend might allow me to place some swarm hives at her property. It would go over better if I was able to tell her that they would be there for a specified amount of time and then I would get them out. I would think that 30 days might reveal obvious problems. But then again a low level of EFB would be difficult to detect. J
:)
I own 0.25 acre.
Simply go around the area and ask people to host your bees.
I would look for a permanent place where you are free to do whatsoever.
In my area people are begging someone to bring the bees.
Having 2-3 sites is an easy deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts