Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I am relatively new, got my first bees last year.

Last Friday the 14th my wife called and said there was a swarm of bees in one of the trees in our backyard. She called someone and he came and got the swarm and put it into an empty hive that we had, with frames and some comp. They said close it up and move it to where you want it and leave it closed for 3 days or so.

Day one went fine, then yesterday, Sunday I am sitting in the backyard and the bees come boiling out of the box, apparently the lid was a little ****eyed. So she grabs the children and runs for the house. I call the guy from the prvious day and he tells me what to do. By this time they were swarming pretty good around one branch and I was able to get them back into the boxes.

My wife said that the first time was cool, the second was a little scary and if it happens again I am in big trouble... I am wondering if anyone has any ideas why they would have swarmed again. I wasn't able to see if there was a queen and would probably have trouble spotting it if it is not marked.

Any suggestions or help would be great. Also someone mentiond a "Hot" hive, what exactly does that mean?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
make sure you have shade and PLENTY of ventalation, and use an inner feeder- i like the "bucket" style. i know several good beekeepers that close swarms in for 3 days, but i dont. sometimes bees just wont stay. no one can give a definite answere as to why because all the reasons are not known, much less identified in an individual swarm. good luck,mike

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
A few of the swarms I caught this year left the next day, decided they didn't like the box. All had one drawn frame the rest foundation. One left I re caught it, sent it to a friends about 5 miles away, & it left his house the next day.

I've never left one closed in the box.
Next year I might try confining the swarm queens in a push in cage to see if it increases the number that stay. That way she can start laying in the cage first.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have keeped swarms cooped up for 3 to 4 days with hive top feeder. Haven't lost on since. I started doing it' I recomend it if you want to keepum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had excellent results using a queen excluder
between the hive body and the bottom board.
It keeps the queen from leaving the hive, but the workers can come and go. Leave it on for a couple of days and then remove it.
Keith

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info, I like the queen excluder idea, I think I will try that.

I also have a couple of deep boxes that I am getting frames for. I am thinking I will take a deep brood frame from my established hive and put it in the second hive as a base. Between that and the queen excluder at the entrance I am hoping to convince them to stay...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I put a screen over the entrance so they get good ventilation and a 1 gallon bag of 1 to 1 in the hive for a few days. That is what I did with my first swarm Saturday and they are doing very well.

But maybe I just got lucky. Today I watched them bringing in Pollen and you can hear the hive humming when you put your ear against it. Guess it makes up for loosing a package this year.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Was the hive body new? Sometimes they just don't like new woodenware. My first year of beekeeping I lost a new package in brand new equipment. A hard lesson to learn at $60+!! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts