Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share a somewhat blurry picture of this beautiful swarm I caught on Saturday afternoon. Chest high on a crabapple in a former beekeeper's backyard....not sure if it could have been any easier than this one.

photo.jpg

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
845 Posts
Nice swarm! Bet that brightened the former keeps day to see a swarm and another keep get it in the box!

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
That is a good sized swarm indeed! Imagine letting that many of your bees fly away because you let them get crowded!

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Why are mine never that easy?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My easiest one was like that. I backed my truck directly under the peach branch it was on and gave it one good shake into a box in the back of the truck one foot below the swarm. The homeowner was grateful AND impressed :D

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this swarm came from a colony living in a cottonwood tree in the homeowner's/former beek's backyard. i'm not sure how long it's been there, but it sounds like a few years. i put a box right under it, perched the box on the ladder, and snipped the branch at her encouragement. seriously could not have been easier, unless they would have swarmed directly into a hive body. i asked her if she was sure she didn't want it (with her being a former beek and all), but she said not with small kids living directly on either side of her. :scratch:

the only thing i had with me at the time was a 5-frame nuc, so i dropped them into that. it's been cold here all week, so i haven't had a chance to move them into a 10-frame deep. hopefully i can do that this weekend, because i'm sure they're getting crowded in that nuc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts