Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to forums, been talking with some local beekeepers and decided I could probably get faster answeres from a forum with many users.

I'm new to beekeeping but did my research for a year before starting. I feel knowledgeable but within the range of my experiences obviously.

I had my very powerful hive pack down the brood nest pretty good, she had no space to lay. Before I could fix the issue with some drawn wet frames I found 3 swarm cells on a frame, that I removed and added to a swarm that I caught with maybe a virgin queen, no eggs in there yet. I provided the Queen in the strong colony with some fresh frames to lay and pulled any honey frames I could to free space in the chamber.

That was Monday, yesterday (thursday) I checked and found she had begun to lay a solid pattern. She laid the entire frame, beautiful pattern.
But, I did find one queen cell capped. My question is this. If she was fixing to leave, would she begin to lay such a solid pattern again? And that effects the next question of what to do with that cell. I was told of she is going to swarm to leave that, but if it's a supercedure it was probably caused by the break in eggs and brood produced by the backfilling of the hive?

Advice appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
In my experience, three or four queen cells (or less) mean a supersedure. Could be caused by the large population of bees in the hive, queen pheromones are getting diluted. It's hard to tell why they want to replace her.

If they were going to swarm they would have left right about the time the queen cell(s) was capped. If she's still there, it's a supersedure situation. You can let it play out or move the queen to a nuc with a couple of frames of brood and stores. The hive will think they were successful and press on with bee things. If the new virgin fails you can combine the two and be back to normal.

Good luck and keep us informed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts