Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a call from neighbor and they have a swarm of bees on the ground - it has been there for 4 days?????????? I am just getting started and this will new to me.... would I need smoke? will wear a siut to start with and do I sweep them into a hive box and leave it over night? Ideas..... fast :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Prop the box with frames up above them without a bottom. They will probably be in the box within 30 minutes. They love climbing up into a dark area for some reason.

If they've been there for four days, they might be a little upset, but if they are still balled up and not flying, they'll be nice. You probably won't have to bother them much. Might wear something when it comes time to collect them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah Three Bears, you can put a set up hive on the ground and I usually put a drop or two of QF or lemon grass oil in the hive and they will go in. I had a friend of mine that had a swarm on the ground and he called me to ask what to do so that is what I told him to do. I was going to post a video of it that he sent me on my phone but couldn't firgure how to do it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yup, just place a complete hive with even one frame of comb in it on the ground with the entrance touching the swarm and they will rush in like shoppers to a Black Friday sale!! I have even don't this to a swarm that was too high up in a tree for me to get, laid out a white sheet on the ground, shook the branch as hard as I could and the cluster dropped onto the sheet, I placed the hive next to the majority and they all went on in.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Last year I got a call for a swarm that was on the ground and I had trouble getting them to go into the box. I tried for over an hour with no luck, so finally after standing in a downpour the bees and myself soaking wet I scooped them up and dump them into the box. The bees had been there for a few days and I believe that pheromones was the reason they would not move.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK - I made it back..... Thanks for the replys - used new ultra breeze suit and it worked great..... In my haste I forgot to bring my boots and only had on tennis shoes....yep.... got hit about six times on ankle.... set hive box near cluster on ground, took off top, took out three frames(with 2" strips of foundation, used a bee broom and a dust pan and made about three scoops and put them in hive - put the top back on and the "march" started.... First time...... and you are right it is an adventure.... I'll leave then there til tomorrow night then tape hole, tape hive box, put it in truck bed.... then relocate, ease tape back and cram in some dried grass at entrance..... :banana:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Good job! Depending on how far you are going to move them, you could consider a piece of wire mesh over the hole. Gives them better ventilation. Just a thought.

Congrats on the swarm,

Shane

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If you have some #8 mesh screen cut a piece about 3" wide by ever how wide your entrance is. Fold it in half the long way and slip the folded edge into the entrance...the spring of the metal screen will hold it in place. Also, soft foam padding will work, too,...squeeze a long rectangular piece into the entrance but don't use if they bees have to be inside for a long period of time. I like the #8 mesh the best.

A 1" or 1-1/2" wide ratchet strap is very handy for holding things together...ratchet it snug and use the strap as a carrying handle.

The "march" was cool, wasn't it!!!:D Check this out and see if it seems familiar... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULZUa-sAySs ...of course they don't always cooperate. ;)

Ed

<snip> - put the top back on and the "march" started.... First time...... and you are right it is an adventure.... I'll leave then there til tomorrow night then tape hole, tape hive box, put it in truck bed.... then relocate, ease tape back and cram in some dried grass at entrance..... :banana:

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Spread out swarms on asphalt are often queenless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Saw the gueen go into the hive- ball was in the grass..

Up -Date...... I went to pick up the hive yesterday evening and taped the entrance, strapped the box and got it home(28 miles away), put a suger/water jar on top, un taped and went to bed. This morning it was 55 and no movement then later this morning they are flying around and stacked up on the suger water - Now here comes the problem......Hive is 40yds from the house in the back of the yard - we have small Chihuahua and she was stung on on top of her paw when she was about 40yds away from hive doing her own thing...... Called the Vet and they recommended 1/2 benadryl pill - This is not off to a good start - wife not home yet - hope she does not ask me to use a flame thrower on my new adventure....she is allergic to wasp stings but has supported me so far now the dog gets hammered...... Hmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just tell her it was not one of your bees that stung the dog,,,you checked the bee collar and it didn't have your name on it.:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just tell her it was not one of your bees that stung the dog,,,you checked the bee collar and it didn't have your name on it.:D
Now that there is funny!!!

But to answer your question, that is pretty aggressive, I would give them a few days to settle and check them. If still hot, requeen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info. - now for the past two days/night it has rained.......the sun is finally coming out..... they are working on the suger/water jar or as what I can see on them from 75yds away.......:eek:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the info. - now for the past two days/night it has rained.......the sun is finally coming out..... they are working on the suger/water jar or as what I can see on them from 75yds away.......:eek:
Funny, I was reading this thinking, sounds like my weather, then I realized you are an hour + north of me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update.... it has been 6 days since I picked up the small swarm on the ground with a Queen. Two days of rain and a huge thunder storm one night. Have been feeding suger water. From reading the bee books it would seem that I was ready to add a hive box......:scratch: However when I opened the hive for the first time I found that some of my stapled 2" foundation strips had become detached from the top bar. I found on one frame strip a 5"x6" comb filled with what appears to be suger water and one cell of necter. On another frame there was a 3"x5" comb with suger water....... no eggs yet...... hmmmmm? They are busy now that the sun is out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts