Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a new hive this year from a nuc that I bought from a commercial keeper. I opened it a week ago and they had plenty of room it has two deep brood boxes and two suppers on it. It swarmed today 95 degrees and landed 40' up in a big cottonwood. The tree is right over the top of the hive. I placed two empty nucs with frames in them under the tree near the hive they left. Does anybody have any ideas about attracting the swarm to a box?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
do you happen to know a tree climbing aborist ? if so get the limb cut off and lowered. if not get a bunch of hives spread around the area with bait scent. or just wave.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do know a tree climer but he is 76 year old LOL. I spread three nuc boxes under tree with Honey Bee Healthy which has lemongrass in it. It is 7:30 now and they are still parked there. I sure wish I knew when they would move because I have a lot of trees around with holes. If I could locate their final destination they might be recoverable.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
they do not move at night or first thing in the morning normally. if you can round up a few more hives and place them at some distance sometimes they really want to go aways like 1/4 mile or more. if you can, watch and see where they go. they usually do something within 3 days, most often a day or 2.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I thought about this some more. bigger swarm traps will help. a 10 frame deep is a better size than a nuc. do a search on this site someone did a study.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you. I thought that also but I only had available today the nuc boxes today. if they don't take off too soon I will get some more deeps out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts