Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, captured a swarm 5 weeks ago. I'm trying to feed them but they are not interested in the syrup at all. Tried both top and entrance feeders, no takers.
My splits on the other hands are devouring the same (1to1 with some lemongrass and a hint of apple cider vinegar) syrup. I also used the OSBN method on the side frames.

Is that expected?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Are they drawing any comb? If they are drawing comb, I would guess that they are bringing in enough nectar. Any chance you are using frame feeders in the splits? If so, the syrup may be getting too cold in the top and entrance feeders you tried. J

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, yes they are drawing comb and the queen is laying. I guess they might have enough coming in. The splits also use top feeders.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
They may be sick. I have had colonies that refused syrup when others were taking it down, and they would dwindle and die. Try spraying the adult bees with a spray bottle of plain 1:1.

Just saw the last post, if the queen is laying and they are drawing comb they are not sick.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Maybe they have found a good nectar source? I heard an old beekeeper say that nectar is like pizza, and sugar syrup is like cornmeal. 😆

Edit: I just went out front to look at the swarms and nucs. Of the ones on feeders, 2 of the 3 swarms are currently not taking syrup, and 3 of the 4 splits are currently taking it. The hives that aren’t taking it are healthy hives and very active during the day. I guess it depends on what they need, what bees are available to get it, and if they have a place to store it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts