Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first a little background:

on May 6th (21 days ago) I did "cutdown" splits on my two overwintered hives: I removed the queens and a few frames of brood (plus honey frames) and placed them in 5 frame deep nucs and relocated to a few miles. On May 18th, I brought the nucs back to my yard and added a second 5 frame deep box on each nuc. I did some brood swapping to help equalize the two nucs. Also, on May 18th, I inspected the original hives and found several emergency queen cells had been capped (as expected). and lots of honey being stored throughout the hive.

Now, the swarm mystery. Yesterday I witnessed a large swarm of bees near my hives (definitely a swarm not just orientation behavior..it was about 40 feet in the air, loud and thick with bees)...this large cloud of bees slowly moved across and finally out of my yard and across the street (I tried to tack them but don't know where they went:( I had been working around the hives all day and hadn't noticed any unusual behavior (other than the weakest nuc was bearding but that was expected because it was a 85+ degrees or and the nucs don't have the best ventilation...i propped open the top of the hive a little and that seemed to help).
Looking at the activity in/out and a quick peak in each hive, I can't identify one that looks drastically reduced....possibly one of the cutdown splits that had reared its own queen looked slightly less but that could be my imagination.

I'd like to think that the swarm wasn't from one of my hives and just a passing swarm, but that seems a little too coincidental. I really don't think it was one of the nucs either because I had just been through thise hives and didn't see any swarm cells (although I wasn't looking for them since I thought the weak split would take away that urge.....

Is it possible (or probable) for a hive that just reared a new queen (split 21 days ago) to swarm? Think it could be the nucs swarming already....thanks for the help. I put some lemongrass oil on a bait hive in my apiary so maybe I can lure that swarm back...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tomkat,

I'm pretty pessimistic about the fate of this swarm...They swarmed late in the day yesterday and we had thunderstorms with 1.5" overnight...seems like that would be pretty hard for an unprotected swarm to survive...:-(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more thing: On Saturday May 24th, I put a queen excluder on my strongest cutdown split between the two deeps and a medium super....maybe I trapped a virgin queen in the super and that caused the swarm...???

·
Registered
83 Posts
One of my cut down splits swarmed with a virgin last week. Luckily, I was home at the time and they landed 10 ft up in a tree. I shook them and now have them in a box.:banana:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts