Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Neat:D I had an empty used hive I set in my driveway that I had intentions on cleaning up a bit. Got called away for the day. When I came back 7 hours later, a swarm had moved in! Just like that. Haven't seen a bee i my yard for years. Go figure. Nice swarm. Love it
Rick SoMd

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.
I mowed the grass and then 10 minutes later I went around the side of the garage where I had just mowed to blow the grass off the alley and the swarm had arrived. I'm really excited that I got to see them move in. I've caught a lot of swarms but never have had the pleasure of watching one move in. It truely made my day.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Congrats! Thanks for posting, fun stuff. The guy that posted a comment on there doesn't know what he's talking about. I've had traps in the city for 4 years, and I've kept some in my own back yard for 5 years. In my neighborhood we're on lots of 1/2 acre +/-. I have kids (5 & 10 yrs old) who play back there with friends and have never had a problem. The kids and parents know they're back there. I caught a swarm in a trap on top of our swing set two weeks ago.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I don't keep my hives in town, but I think bait traps set up in towns and cities and catching swarms before they take up residence in peoples homes, garages, cars and wherever these nifty creative creatures decide to call home is doing a good thing. I have swarm traps in three towns in our county. One town being 25,000+ people. And besides that, I have found there are more wild hives in town than out in the country. Thanks all for your comments on the video and agreeing with me on the bait traps.

-Dan Williams

1 - 8 of 8 Posts