Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my swarm hive I caught a couple weeks ago, capped brood, larvae, eggs. two queen cells in midde of deep frame and have larvae in them. I have two deeps I quit feeding yesterday. top hive body is halfed capped over and heavy. all sugar I would guess. bottom has three frames undrawn top is all drawn out. should I put another hive body on it? isit about to swarm? if so should I split it?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
It is very common for natural swarms to replace their old queen after the swarming. Even when they settle in a new hive. So it is rather supersedure and not swarming. Usually they do not swarm again. The old and young queens work side by side for some time. After wintertime - latest - usually only the young queen can be found.

Bees know best when to replace their queen. They sense if she is getting too old. Anyway, this situation regularily leads to queenless hives. If the new queen fails to grow up and mate properly, the hive is queenless. Also the bees usually struggle to build up properly if the brood break is too long.

So you need to watch them closely. I would not add more supers, since the hive will shrink in size for sure and too much room is not good for them. Do not split or it will be too weak to rebuild after the supersedure. As said: monitor closely.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
I just found two nice supercedure cells in a swarm caught 4/2. The queen was still there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts