Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever tried these? I've seen them advertised and was curious if anyone has tried this?

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Do a search. We.ve been talking about them for a month or two. Moat think lemongrass oil or dead queens work best.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Stinger, do you have any oriental shops near you? You might find actual lemongrass, or go to a health food store and you can get the oil. If you do a search on lemongrass, there are at least two fairly notorious posts on the matter within the recent week.

[ March 30, 2006, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: FordGuy ]

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Online is the easyest and fastest way to get lemongrass oil. Do a google search....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info. i just thought of something. does it attract undesirable bees as well as honeybees?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>thanks for the info. i just thought of something. does it attract undesirable bees as well as honeybees?

What are undesirable bees?

No.

I use lemongrass essential oil. Smells the same as the commercial lures, and it costs a lot less.

·
Registered
368 Posts
how many drops do you use per trap?
is it applied at the entrance in the back or all over? thanks!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i consider undesirable bees wasps, hornets yellow jackets... although i assume they have a purpose in nature but that type i do not want to attract. ( kind of like people i guess there are some that you like and some that you don't want anything to do with ( undesirables) ).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Where I have my bees now is kind of in the center of large field. I couldn't find a good place to put a swarm box so I just put it about 50' away and on top of a cynder block. Do you think that's too low to catch a swarm?

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
#1...I think it is fine, others don't think so.
#2...Many think 1/4 mile is close enough to the hive..How big is the field.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ohhhh I could move it further. It's just that it's not my land so I'm trying to keep all my stuff kind of close together to give the owner more room. It's probably a 1-3 acre field.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Let's define "works". Swarm lures work, in the sense that they attract the attention of scout bees (I've never used it that I didn't see scout bees show up) and it improves the changes of a swarm moving in. But bait hives are like fishing. You may or may not get bees in one. The lure (or the lemongrass oil) just improves the odds. Nothing is a sure thing. Putting them up in a tree improves the odds. Old comb improved the odds.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts