Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across a recipe in a 1995 ABL, and would like to know if this is correct. They suggest....

2 parts Citral
1 part Geroniol
1 drop lemon oil

Is this good, or is there another recipe any better?
Thank you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
>Is this good, or is there another recipe any better?

It's may be ok, but a couple of drops of limon-grass oil works good for me.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I've had as good of luck with the straight Lemongrass essential oil as the commercial lures and it's the easiest to make.
But the recipe I learned was:

Geraniol, Nerolic acid and Citral in 1:1:1

I've also seem simply Citral to Gernaiol at 2:1

Guessing from the smell of it naturally and the mixtures I've seen people use, I'd say Citral, Geraniol and Nerolic acid in 2:1:1 would be a pretty good mix.

My guess is the one you have will probably work fine too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,

Does'nt Citral come from Lemongrass oil, or citrus oils? To distill it they use Gernaiol I believe, I also may be totally wrong.
So in that case, it seems to me straight lemongrass oil would be just as good with less work.

Kieran

[ November 10, 2005, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Murphy ]

·
Registered
405 Posts
Bjornbee,
I put out just one bait hive this past year in my back yard with a few drops of lemongrass oil dobbed on the inside and was so surprised that a swarm found it and adopted it as their home. So...I am convinced that just the lemongrass oil is all I need. What were those other ingrediants...citrol and geronial... from that recipe? And...what might those other ingrediants do? I'm not sure I've heard of them before.
Barry
Indianapolis

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Bjornbee,

Nasonov Pheromone used for swarm lures is:
1:1:1 mixture of citral: geraniol: geranic acid (geranic + nerolic).

Geranic acid, is a mixture of the two isomers
geranic + nerolic and can be difficult to find.

I make up swarm lures using the recipe.

1 part geranic acid (geranic + nerolic)
1 part citral
1 part geraniol

It's interesting that each of the components doesn't seem to work in swarm hives, but the three of them together serves well as a settling pheromone.

Lemongrass oil also works remarkably well as a settling lure and is much cheaper.

Make sure to keep your ingredients and lures refrigerated.

[ November 11, 2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: naturebee ]

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Anyone have any experience with using Au De Queen (dead queens steeped in alcohol)? If so, how does it stack up against the lemon grass citral stuff?

George-

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Anyone have any experience with using Au De Queen (dead queens steeped in alcohol)? If so, how does it stack up against the lemon grass citral stuff?

I've always used either the lemongrass oil by itself or the queen juice with the lemongrass oil. The queen stuff helps.

>were do you guys find this stuff????

It's MUCH easier and cheaper, and in my experiece, just as effective, to get the lemongrass oil essential oil.

If you search the web for geraniol, nerolic acid and citral and perfumery. Lots of places have the citral and geraniol. The Nerolic acid seems to be harder to find.

You might look for geranic acid as it's an isomer of nerolic and they actually are usually together and hard to seperate anyway. Anyone with geranic must also have some nerolic.
And, odds are, if they are selling one it already contains the other.

http://www.gmpct.com/products/essential_oils_perfumery_chemicals.php

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Mike wrote:
"Geraniol, Nerolic acid and Citral in 1:1:1"
The Nerolic acid seems to be harder to find."

Harder to find??? Nerolic acid is darn near impossible to find!!!
Besides, your recipe is missing geranic acid.

BUT you do not need to find nerolic!

Geranic acid can be purchased in the technical, mixture of isomers, which also contains nerolic acid

see here:

Geranic acid
(E)-3,7-Dimethyl-2,6-octadienoic acid
(technical, mixture of isomers, which also contains nerolic acid)

Nerolic acid
(Z)-3,7-Dimethyl-2,6-octadienoic acid

The recpie is:
1:1:1 mixture of citral:geraniol:nerolic + geranic acids as described previously (Schmidt and Thoenes, 1992)

To rewrite so it is not confussing:
The Schmidt Thoene recipe is:
1 part geranic acid (geranic + nerolic)
1 part citral
1 part geraniol

·
Registered
268 Posts
Pulled this one up from the archives. My question is how does one apply the lemongrass oil or swarm lure? Spray it on a frame of foundation, or in the box or what?

Thanks
Corinne

·
Registered
268 Posts
>ok, where is a source for lemmongrass oil?

Yoyo, try your health food store or look on the net -- lemongrass essential oil.
My bottle came from my health food store $4.50 for 1/3 oz , company name Wyndmere Naturals, Inc. Can also try Now Foods on the net and see if they have it. Can also try e-Bay...:D

Corinne

·
Registered
309 Posts
Corinne, I just place a few drops of lemongrass oil on the topbars in the swarm trap. I may freshen it with another drop or two as the season progresses.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I am starting to think that the size of the swarm trap is just as important as the bait. I have about 25 traps out using everything from five frame nuc boxes to 8 frame double deeps and I have more than twice as many nucs. I get about 3 swarms in the double deeps for every one that occupies a nuc. I also use a combiniation of marinade of queen and lemongrass oil.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Doug, Thanks for that last post--great info on size of trap. I have heard that size does make a dif but wasn't sure what size. Apparently you must trap quiet a few swarms if you have 25 traps out. This is encouraging because I want to try my hand at trapping this year. I've also heard the marinade of queen and lemongrass oil works real well.

Thanks
Corinne

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Some of them are nail on bottoms with a hole drilled for and entrance, some of them I just tie together with ratcheting straps. I always try to make the entrance really small because I read somewhere that the swarms prefer entrances less than 15 cm sq. I usually depends on where I am going to put them. I have one on the headache board of a friend's old dump truck that I keep secured real tight so he can take it off and put it back on if he needs to use the truck. Some of the ones on low pitch roofs I leave loose enough that I can inspect them if I need to. I tend to use a lot of deck screws to hold things together since they have come out with such great portable drills. Mostly what I do depends on what the landowner finds acceptable and what suits the situation. I have a couple on bee trees where I can take the swarms but can't touch the parent hive and I just mount them on shelf brackets a couple feet above the existing entrance with a little strip of burlap hanging down almost to the entrance to the main hive. If the bees decide to swarm, the burlap makes a great place to hang up and once they get there it is so easy to climb inside. When the box is occupied, I just take out the screws holding the box to the shelf brackets, remove the ratcheting strap that holds it against the tree trunk, and off we go.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts