Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do commercial swarm lures last?

Any recommendations on brands?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just remembered I have a bag of old (and I mean OLD!) broken up brood comb I have not rendered.

Would a handful of this with founationless frames act as a lure until I get my commercial lure??? Or perhaps tie a hand size chunk of it to the frame???

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've had good luck with lemongrass oil. Just a few drops is all you need per trap. It lasts a long time that way, and is cheap.

Old comb would certainly attract a swarm, even broken up. Maybe even put a little honey in to attract some attention.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
A swarm isn't looking for honey. They are looking for a home. Maybe the honey might make one of the field bees cleaning it up, remember that nice potential home, but I really don't think it matters that much. The lemongrass oil is the cheapest and works as well. All the commercial ones I've had from Brusy Mt. and Mann Lake worked about the same as the lemongrass oil.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lemongrass oil it is then.

Does the stuff they sell for aroma therapy work?? They claim it is 100% pure and natural. In a fairly small community it is the only source I am likely to fine without mailorder.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I usually spinkle a good bit of wax inside the trap hive. The outside is covered with a real strong lemon grass tea (I have it growing here in my house). When I make the rounds and check the swarm traps, I'll carry a bottle of the tea and apply it to each of the boxes that are empty.

Also, the more times a box has had bees in it, the better it'll work.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After scouring my small city of 9,000 I could not locate any. I just got done ordering a 4 oz bottle of "steam distilled" 100% pure oil. Sometimes (although rarely) I miss the convienance of larger cities.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I bought a big bottle on line and I figure it will last the rest of my life. Do a search on "essential oils" and you'll find lots of vendors. But anyplace that carries essential oils (you remember pachuoly, etc.) usually has it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Curry
Thank you!!! Actually we are still getting swarms. I am hearing about them after the fact. It seems most folks don't know about capturing swarms. They now know (friends of mine). Swarm retrieved Friday and no queen to be found. Still about half workers and drones and honey and brood...am going to attempt last minute queening. Thanks again I appreciate it! I am going to the board and ask if there is a BEST/preferred height for traps. David

·
Registered
143 Posts
Essential Oils can usually also be purchased at any "whole foods" store, you know, the ones that sell only organic vegetables and have juice bars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts