Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is just out of curiosity for now especially since I don't even have bees yet or any equipment but I was just wondering what one charges (when and if they charge) to do bee removal? I figure swarm removal in most cases is easy enough but hive removal from a building would be quite a bit involved. I was thinking about contacting a friend of mine who owns the local pest control company and letting him know that next year I would possibly be(e) interested in helping do any bee calls he may get. As a new bee keeper I think the reward of possibly getting free bees would be payment enough as well as the experience but just thinking ahead of time in the case that it ends up being something I can do on a regular basis to help them out. I don't know that I/they would even charge for swarm removal but doing a cut out might be a different story. I know that right now they just spray the bees and I really don't know if they even realize there is another option but I am going to let them know very soon that even if it isn't me, there are several other keepers in the area that would likely be more than happy to get the bees.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Around here we just keep the bees for payment.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Locally many of the keeps are getting $250-450 for cutouts, sometimes more or a little less. Swarms seem to be free still. I've done three cutouts so far this year, all fairly easy and they still averaged about 6 hours to do it right. Plus you always go through materials, plastic, screws, nails, tar-paper, caulk, duct tape, cleaning supplies, ect. None of that is free. Building a good bee vac costs money as well. I aways a least try and recoup my costs

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I want the bee's. Typically don't ask for any money they usually off something. Usually it winds up being around 100 bucks. They almost always offer.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If its a swarm in a tree or anything other then inside an exterior part of a home or any type of structure i do it for free! No need to be greedy(IMO)!! Cut outs are different, alot of work involved, i would have to charge enough for gas atleast but i dont do cut outs only because of liability reasons. I drove 75 miles one way to capture a swarm of feral bees "twice" and done it for free both times, i was offered money both times and i refused both times! I still have them bees and they are strong as ever! and i would do it again for free!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do people just know to call you or are you contacted by local pest control companies? Do you advertise? Sorry about the questions...I have been watching some videos on bee removal and it just has me interested so I am just trying to learn about it.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
For me it is free BUT I have no problem taking a donation if it is offer. On easy swram.:D Cut out I charge for.
David/toledo

·
Registered
371 Posts
I didnt charge when i first started doing cut outs, but after building the bee vac, and various tools, and gas I now charge. The difficulty, time involved, tools needed and distance from my house all are factors in the price.

Swarms are removed by me for no charge. I will take a donation if its offered but I never expect it. Swarms are hit and miss though, I could drive 3 miles to get a basketball size swarm, or 50 miles for one that is "huge" that turns out being about 200 bees clumped on a branch 25 feet in the air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts