Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I caught a swarm of my own bees and hived them back into a new deep on 6/8. They've stayed and have drawn out most of the single deep they are in. Should I add another box here for the winter configuration? What would you guys suggest for a swarm hive like this? I'm a newbee and any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If you have them only in a Deep box at the moment, it would be highly reccomended that you give them a second deep to work on as well. In your area the bees are probably going to need about 70 lb of honey or more to winter correctly. Just about the best way to allow them to get this is to add a second deep body and let them fill it out. It may require you to feed them good, but that's just part of getting them ready for next year at this point. Treat this colony just as you would if it were a shaken swarm from a box of bees. Once the 1st deep is 80% filled with drawn comb, add a second box after breaking up the brood nest with the undrawn frames, and feed if needed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Take my words with a grain of salt because I just started myself. I started with a 5 frame NUC this year and if you had a healthy sized swarm it should be similar in be population and I added a second box when they had 8 out of the 10 frames fully filled with honey, polen and brood. I am a bit more southern than you but I would think your bees could evenly fill up a second deep box before it gets too cold.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gents, thanks for the advice. I'll get a second deep on and feed them well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts