Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I are first year beekeepers.

My brother has a hive that after-swarmed on July 9th with a fair number of bees. His first swarm was 1-1/2 weeks previous to that. The original hive had created a couple queens and instead of fighting, the old one and a virgin decided to leave, now making three hives out of one. I guess the bees thought we needed to "bee" well acquainted to swarming the first year.

Anyway, it has been 4 days since installation of the last swarm. Today when the hive was opened up it was found that the bees had not worked on building any comb yet and surprisingly they still had half their feed left, too. (We did have two rainy days in between, though.) The first swarm had worked madly setting up their new home right away so we are shocked at the lack of action in this newest colony. Apparently, this hive has not really done anything since Friday, installation day.

Does anyone have suggestions how to encourage the bees to build? As we are both first year beekeepers, we do not have any drawn comb reserves.

Thank you,
Youngbee :)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I suspect that without a laying queen they won't build comb. When the virgin gets mated they'll probably go to work. Keep the 1:1 syrup on them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts