Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
It does seem you have laying workers there. A laying worker hive acts like it's queen right, and rejects introduced queens. I am hoping you don't have an issue by placing that frame with laying workers in another hive. Was the swarm hive queen right? If so, I hope the laying worker frame didn't reject the queen it may have had and kill it.

One thing Artur, I don't plan on being rude or offensive, but you seem to be doing some manipulations without knowing if it's a good thing or not to do. Laying workers have the potential to be a problem in other hives if they are shook out in front, or combined, etc. One frame may not be an issue, but there's a possibility of it. It's not a bad thing to add a frame of brood and nurse bees directly into another colony, but from a laying worker colony may not be as safe as that. It could be somewhat like adding a frame to another hive with the queen on it. They think they are queen right. You say your swarm hive has not so many bees, can they subdue the laying workers frame of bees is the question now. I can't keep track of which one is the swarm hive and it's status.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
DanielD,
1st I am very thankful for all of your replies, and "yes" - I am unexpressed, so If I do something wrong ... bad.

The swarm hive doesn't have queen and they are producing drones too, so if there are 2 laying workers in the hive ... it's an experiment.
Basically that swarm hive has no value to me - I can shake them out and just keep an empty box, but decided to give them a chance to see what they will do.

I posted an update about Hive #2.
I'll appreciate your opinion about that hive.

Thanks again and I am not offended if I do something wrong and someone with more experience point it out.

PS: As a new beekeeper I wasn't ready for dealing with swarm and swarmed hive. I thought that 1 year old hive will not swarm, but they did :(

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Thank you, DanielD

I stoped inspection when I saw those eggs/larvae/caped brood in Hive #2.
I saw something similar last week, but it was smaller area (I am sure the bottom box is filled with the same).
Do you think I need to continue the inspection to the bottom box or at this point one can say that "the hive is doing ok" ?

Should I try to put few frames with those eggs/larvae into the Hive #1or get new mated/laying queen?

"Swarm hive" is not interesting - there are few bees and trying to survive, so just disregard it. Putting frame with drone brood in it with or without bees doesn't make much difference. I just hope I removed the laying worker from hive #1.

Thanks again

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Here's the easiest way to suppress laying workers I have read about.
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?330787-Laying-Worker-Easy-Fix

You can do this with your #2 queen right colony, and when the laying workers stop, you can combine them.

Thanks!!!

I am thinking if I get a new queen, can I
1. shake the bees from bottom box out to have bee-less frames
2. put caged queen in that box
3. put newspaper on top of bottom box
4. put the top boxes back (on the newspaper)

Do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
No, that won't accomplish anything. It takes a few weeks to suppress laying workers so they'd combine with a queen right colony. I wouldn't buy a queen for them because they won't accept it till they stop laying. A queen won't suppress them like that, it takes open brood for a few weeks to do it. Again, if you want to use the bees, you can put both the laying worker hives together, compacted in few boxes as needed, put a screen on top of the laying worker hive, and put the queen right hive on top of the screen. They must be separate colonies with separate entrances on opposite sides of the hive. After 2-3 weeks, check and if the laying workers have stopped, no eggs or larva, then you can combine them.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Hi DanielD,

Here are todays news:
Thanks FlowerPlanter!
Good thread and useful info.

I would like to express my gratitude to razoo (her nickname here) for the frame of brood with queen and bees.

My hives are 3 deep boxes hives. I added 3rd deep early spring hopping that bees will have enough space and will not swarm, but they did and because of several things my hive became queen-less.

Here what I did today:

After bringing a frame to my yard, I opened my hive, removed 3rd (top) box and shook all the bees into the bottom boxes. Then I took an empty comb from bottom box, squeezed the gap and new frame with empty foundation on the side.
I put window screen on top of the 2nd box when I finished dealing with bottom boxes and cleaning of 3rd box, and put then empty box on top having 2 spaces for empty comb frame and the frame with queen on it.
The top box originally had some honey on 2 frames in it, but the rest of the frames were empty (untouched).
After rearranging top box I had the following arrangement for frames:

EEEH"Q"C"HEEE
E - empty frame
H - honey frame
Q - frame with queen on it and brood
C - empty comb

I'll be observing the hive for next several days to see its behavior - hope they'll accept the queen and in a few days I'll be able to to remove screen mesh.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts