Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this hasnt been covered a million times. Is it at all likely that a new split that just contains brood, nurse bees, and a queen would swarm? Why would they disappear and abandon brood? Would a change in sun exposure (to more sun than they had) upset them? I was thinking that nurse bees wouldnt support a swarm. All the foragers apparently went back home to the original hive, and the nuc looked OK but lots of bees hanging out on the porch. Then gone.

THanks!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
A few questions.
What did you split them to? A nuc, 8 frame, 10 frame?
How much of a population woudl you say they had. Low moderate or high?

They simply absconded. That is why every bee is gone. The reason for it could be varied.

How many bees remained after the foragers abandoned the split?

I at least consider this. But have not determined for myself exactly what happens.

A split is made and loses it foragers. the remaining bees are attempting to rear brood with no forager support. This to them appears like they are not making it in that area and this triggers absconding to find better forage range.

Many things can be triggered in bees. Queen cell building and queen rearing being one of those most commonly known. I also believe swarming can be triggered, absconding, and even additional brood rearing. We just need to understand what conditions trigger those responses in bees. What I have discovered this year is it is very risky to allow a colony to get to low in population.

Another member put it well in another post a coupe of weeks ago. There is a balance of activities within a colony. and there is a minimal population required for all of these activities to be carried out to a minimal degree. If that balance is not maintained a colony will falter. It will also take measures to correct the imbalance at times. And if moving will make a correction they will move.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks.
Split to a 10 frame. There were LOTS of bees, thus the split. Basically split a large colony in two, with honey and pollen for both. BTW they had their original queen with them. Colony at original hive was given a new queen. Both are in the same yard so all foragers presumably went home to original hive.
Pardon my ignorance, but what do they do when they abscond? Would they have attempted to go back to the original hive? Did they just fly off somewhere and die?
If this is the case, then is it possible to "rescue" all the capped brood they left behind? I am not sure what nurse bees might do to support capped brood, other than regulate temperature.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts