Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went into my stronger of two hives today and found I would assume what no beek wants to find -- queen cells on several frames at the bottom. I cleaned them off, but I would expect to find more on the bottom of the first brood deep. I am using two 8 frame deeps for brood and have a medium super for hopefully some honey. Well that seems far off now. I had put a queen excluder on when I added the hoeny super when the 2nd deep had between 5-6 frames drawn. I attended a local bee assoc. meeting and there learned that with new foundation (wax) that bees don't really like to go through the excluder to draw comb. So I removed the excluder, and had alot more bees in the super, but they have never seriously started to draw comb. I assume they are getting ready to swarm due to lack of room in the two deeps??? I have a great queen in this hive that lays like pictures one sees in books, but it looks like it all may end soon. Any idea(s) why the bees never went into the medium super if room was what they needed??? Any comments or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you do not want to loose your queen go ahead and make a split. Move to old queen to the new hive. If you you queen is still there you traded a hive for honey.
I do not like queen excluder. I call them wax excluders. The bees do not like to draw wax goung through the excluder IMO. I just let them drar and if the queen wants to lay a few eggs that is fine. They will normaly back fill it with honey.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I think you need to qualify that answer. In a strong flow the bees will go right through an excluder and draw wax like maniacs. During our citrus flow we use all new foundation (crimp wired wax) in the supers because we need drawn comb for future splits, etc. They have no problem drawing it out and filling it very quickly.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
mine honeybound the best laying queen i had in a little under 2 days as they didnt want to move up......they off'd her and I saw EXACTLY what you are talking about. She had no room to lay seems to be the difference. They have requeened and i opened up the brood nest....

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm in the same boat, 2 deeps, 1 super (no excluder, undrawn plastic) from an April swarm. The girls have honey bound one of the deeps (the top one). I opened it Memeorial day, saw this process starting, swicthed the boxes, added the super, which they are ignoring. Went in yesterday, lots of brood in the bottom deep, found no eggs or larva younger then three or four days, and 23 swarm cells on both sides of one frame. I did not scrape them off, as I figured it is too late now with no new brood being layed. I placed the undrawn super in-between the 2 deeps to at least get a start on drawning it out. I'm also setting up a bait hive. Any ideas on how far away to place it? I also added a frame of brood and nures from the hive to a new queen less Nuc (two cells ready to pop next week, along with some queen-less bees from a cut out on Saturday> they came from a swarm from earlier in the week in the firebox of a ladies house, no way to get in with out distroying the fireplace:cry: Vac-ed for three hours, no more bees, then light the fire place. Hot, sad day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts