Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a colony that was a swarm capture and they have built out frames like this on each side of the brood nest. When I hived them I only had 3 frames of drawn comb to give them so the frames like this one were fresh out of the box. Any information about what is going on here is appreciated. I have no reason to be concerned with the colony's performance at this point. The queen lays quite prolifically and has good compact pattern. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
It seems there was too much space and they decided to maximize the use of that space. Is that the only frame drawn like this? Wait for it to hatch (if it has brood) and then scrape it off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are two frames like it, one on each side of the brood nest. It is honey stores, no brood.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They've drawn on the same foundation just fine elsewhere in the hive body. I had two frames of wax foundation in for two weeks and they wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes, I have seen it happen several times, mostly when there are two frames of new foundation side by side- it gives them enough space to use their creativity... They probably don't have enough bees to be drawing both sides at the same time, so they focus on the side closer to brood nest only. If you leave it like this, they will not do the next frame properly, so you have to scrape it right away. If you have older drawn frames you can put them beside to ensure they don't have enough space for this nonsense again.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
This is often seen when the colony has a weak adult bee population, especially when combined with a weak nectar flow. I would scrape it off down to the plastic, and save it to be open fed back at a later date. The longer it stays in the colony the worse it becomes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It also depends what is on the other (nest) side of this frame- if it has brood, then it can't be replaced now and they may as well do the same thing again, unless proper frame is placed adjacent to the scraped side.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
This is often seen when the colony has a weak adult bee population, especially when combined with a weak nectar flow. I would scrape it off down to the plastic, and save it to be open fed back at a later date. The longer it stays in the colony the worse it becomes.
+1
Scrape off the errant comb and make sure your frames are pushed tightly together. Scrape off any propolis on the frames that prevents pushing tightly together.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Very common on plastic foundation that does not have enough wax on it. Still happens sometimes with the extra wax. The bees will not fix it. Scrape it off, paint melted wax onto the plastic and put it back in. Or try one of the other options like wax foundation or foundationless. Where in the hive is the wax foundation they are not working yet?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts