Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday 5:00pm find frantic bees in the bee yard so I watch and find them collecting on a branch. Cant tell which, if any of my of my hives is swarming. Lots of bees on every hive. (all new 2010 hives from nucs)
I go to the house get a deep hive body with foundation (no drawn comb).
I shake the bees into the new hive and close it with sugar water on the inner cover and paper closing up most of the entrance.
Wednesday mornimg, bees still in new hive.
Wednesday 4:30, new hive is empty, look and find swarm again. Cut down the new limb and shake them into a second deep body (thinking they didn't like the first one). Put syrup on inner cover.

Waiting to see what Thursday brings. Any suggestions for an inexperienced newbe?
Thanks, Benny

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Alot of posts on this subject suggest a frame of brood to holdem. But doesn't always work but really increases the probability.

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think I should seal them up in there or give them limited access?
Should I make a big effort to determine which hive split?
If I figure out which one should I do anything special for it? new queen? syrup??
Benny

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would seal them up for 2 days and 2 nights, as long as you have screen bottom board. Give them plenty of syrup and put them in the shade for the 2 days, then move them where you want them before opening. I do not think they will make it this late on foundation so you might combine with a weak colony. & let the queens work it out. This is what I would do.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have had good success putting a queen excluder between the box and the bottom board. It serves as a queen "includer" which keeps the rest of the bees close by. This works if you have a mated queen, but if it is a virgin queen, she might be small enough to slip through. Have you seen the queen?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I got a swarm on Monday that when I got it home, I still had to build equipment. By the time I was done, I needed to get to work, so I didn't have time to move a frame of brood in there, so I put a QE between the BB and the HB. As I was leaving, I saw a bunch on bees on my swarm trap and also saw bees coming and going from the new hive. I got home at 10:30 pm and checked the swarm trap, no new tenants. The next morning, I opened a hive, had to dig deep to get a frame of brood for them, but once I had a nice once selected and clear of bees, I set it a side. I opened up the new hive, maybe 20 to 30 bees here out of a pound that I had taken yesterday. I inspeceted the QE and found the queen.....DEAD. With the amount of activity that swarm trap had, I was wondering if they killed her because she wouldn't move to where they wanted to go? Even with that though, where the heck did the bees themselves go?

C2

P.S. Next time I will just have to be late for work, as I will take the time to get them the frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts