1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Medium brood boxes
8 frames
black Plastic, wax coated
Installed (2) new packages on 4/19/2019.
Fed 1:1 syrup and pollen patties

I inspected on Sunday 6/2/2019
Boxes / frames were at least 70% drawn.
I observed uncapped and capped honey, pollen, and larvae in various stages (mostly uncapped)
Saw what look like swarm cells hanging off the bottom of a frame.
I added another box on top, same configuration and walked away.
They have been busy bringing pollen back,.
I'm leaving what is left in the feeders for them to use.

According to an outside inspection, they are still busy and I cracked the top off gently and saw that they are exploring the top boxes.
They have plenty of space.
Should I be concerned about the "swarm cells" if they are even that?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
If you have the equipment and enough bees I would be tempted to split the hive and get another hive out of it. If you see swarm cells and lots of larve odds are they are already thinking of swarming, and will swarm unless you intervene.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If I had 7 or most of 6 frames built out, and if the frames are covered in bees, and if the danger of cold spells were past, I would pull a couple of frames of brood up into the new box. I would pull frames not immediately next to each other, such as frames 4 and 6. I would replace those frames with new frames.
I'm a newbee too and this may be bad moves.

Missed the boat on the basic question. If there's just a couple cells on one frame, and if there's no eggs or larvae in those cells, and if there's still open space on the frames for the queen to lay in (no back-filling with nectar), then I wouldn't worry about the cells.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts