Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in a hive today and saw 2 queen cups on the top of frames in brood chamber being built. No egg's probably just started making them. Both my outer frames in the brood chamber are empty comb. Hive didn't seem overcrowded. Didn't see any drones all worker brood. Is this the beginning of swarm prep? Having the outer frames empty isn't that like the OSBN swarm prep method?

·
Registered
405 Posts
queen cups don't actually really mean anything by themselves. From the sounds of it they still have plenty of expansion room and no drones being made yet so I would suspect swarming is still a ways off. However keep up on swarm prevention methods to keep your hive strong to make a crop.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Agree with vtbeeguy. When you say your outer frames in the brood box are empty comb, do you mean the frames against the side of the box or the frames on the outside of the brood frames? The frames on the outside next to the box are usually filled with nectar/pollen. The queen will rarely lay that far to the outside. If there is empty comb right next to where she is laying, that's good, but it's not like OSBN. The frame has to be at least partially open, meaning no foundation. J

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhh
Agree with vtbeeguy. When you say your outer frames in the brood box are empty comb, do you mean the frames against the side of the box or the frames on the outside of the brood frames? The frames on the outside next to the box are usually filled with nectar/pollen. The queen will rarely lay that far to the outside. If there is empty comb right next to where she is laying, that's good, but it's not like OSBN. The frame has to be at least partially open, meaning no foundation. J
. Ohhhh I see now thanks. Not the frames next to the box . Yes that’s the frames I was talking about. Thank. Put a empty frame with comb right in the middle of the brood chamber because I had to pull a frame of brood for a queen less hive I had. That should give her lots of room to lay eggs.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
That's something that can be done, but it's usually done later in the season when it is warmer so the brood is all together and able to be covered by nurse bees. Personally, I would take that out tomorrow and put both your drawn, empty combs on the outside of the frames she is laying in. That will give her enough space for now. I am generally familiar with your weather and you have cold nights for a while to come. While not impossible, it is a little early for swarming in your area. But its good to prepare, Read the thread on OSBN and get ready to place those frames soon if you want to try that method. Also, I sometimes remove/squish queen CUPS so it is easier to see if they make new ones and keep track of things. Generally, I remove them but leave a couple on one frame so I am able to quickly check just that frame to see if an egg has been laid in it. Of course they can build others on other frames but it saves you looking for them as often. Never remove CELLS unless you are sure you have a laying queen. J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts