Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie. This is my first spring with bees. About two weeks ago I split one of my hives. I took four frames from the ten frame deep box to raise some queens. I replaced those frames with foundation, two on each side of the box. I thought this would delay swarming of this hive so I put off inspecting for a couple weeks. Boy, was I wrong. I opened the hive today and found five capped queen cells. My plan then was to find the queen and split her into a nuc, but I could not find her. I looked three times for about an hour and could not find her. I think she swarmed but could have missed her. So here is what I did. I did not split the hive, but I destroyed all queen cells but two. My thinking is that if the queen swarmed the hive needs the cell or will become queen less. Also, if they have already swarmed killing some cells might stop so many after swarms. Did I do the right thing. If not any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I don't think you did the wrong thing although it could of bee improved better for future reference.
Rather than taking the chance that the virgin did not make it back after her mating flight ( I had one last week) I would leave
all the queen cells intact and split them into nuc hives 2 per. This will increase your chance of having laying queens for later
split or to replace a failing queen or you can sell them too. The current queen is either dead or got replaced after she failed somehow.
I believe these are supercedure cells and not swarm cells. Are they being built at the bottom of the frame or in the middle? I
think swarm cells are much in quantity than 5 each.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am wondering about the original split you made. Have you checked the four frames you took to begin rearing queens? Do they have queen cells or do they suddenly have a laying queen? Is it possible you moved your laying queen in to your queen rearing split and so the original hive is simply performing a supercedure?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the queen when I originally split. I took the frame she was on and put it aside in a nuc until I was finished so I would know where she was. Then I eased her off the frame into the original hive because I wanted that frame for the split. I tried to be very gentle, but I guess I could have injured her. Although I never really touched her, just kind of herded her off the frame. I don't know. The split made five queen cells.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Three of the cells were at the bottom on the third frame. The other two were at the top third line on the eight frame.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I had squished the queen before out of an accident without knowing it.
Things happened when we are least expected. Don't be too harsh on yourself but to
fix it. That's all we can do to make things right again. I'd messed up so many times before
and always looking for an answer to my bee problems. That's how we learn I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts