Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 7 years working with top bar hives, you would think I would know the answer to this question. In a Langstroth hive you usually find the swarm cells at the bottom of the frames between boxes. In a top bar hive I am pretty sure you find them near the bottom of the comb. The question I have is where in the hive will you usually find them? Since my entrances are all near one end of the hive, will they be near the entrance, near the middle or near the rear of the hive? The brood area does not go past the middle of the hive so I am pretty sure I will not find them at the rear of the hive. Over the years I have been beekeeping, I have had several Langstroth hives swarm but I have never had a top bar hive swarm. The only swarm control I have ever done on them is adding empty bars to keep the bees building new comb. Sound familiar? if not, see Matt Davey's OSBN thread in the Beekeeping 101 Sticky Section. It seems to work real well so there is no reason to change what I am doing.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you tend to find the everywhere in the broodnest or just in one specific area?

Great pictures by the way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts