Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great question. At this point I'm assuming they came from one of my hives as the swarm was 30 feet from my hives. I inspected all of my hives Saturday. The hive I suspected was a booming hive. I've checkerboarded my deeps to remove honey and provide room, reversed my deeps routinely and kept a pretty close eye on things. As I pulled frames from this hive I found 8) capped queen cells (not there last weekend). The population was still above average and there was a good amount of brood...still plenty of empty comb. Did not see the queen, but like I said there was still a lot of bees in this hive. If this hive did not swarm, it was about to. All my other hives looked normal.

Soooo....due to the location of the swarm and the presence of the queen cells I have to assume it came from one of my hives, but judging by the size of the swarm and the above average population of my hives I can't imagine it came from them. I guess this was a monster hive and they were crowded. Maybe I should have given them a third deep.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts