Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a swarm that moved into my bait trap from my colony in my bee yard. Once I move it onto a hive from the trap do I need to take it away from my bee yard for a time? Or can I just set it up on my rack with the rest of them?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I caught a wild swarm last year on my property and i moved it to hive stands with my otehr bees. that evening, i found a cluster of bees at the old lcoation so I vaccumed them up and dumped them into the new hive. the second day i found only about a dozen bees at the old location and I left them to figure it out for themseves, or perish. I don't want any intelectually inferior bees in my hives :)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
How is your trap set up? Does it have frames in it?

My first bait box was one without frames where I waited a day and then dumped bees into a hive with foundationless frames. A day later they were gone. Now I always use frames and try not to disturb for a week or more if possible.

I have several bait boxes set up where I wont have to touch it or move it if bees move in, at 3 of my bee yards. Last year I had a swarm move into a nuk I'd left sitting after moving the frames to a deep right nest to the nuk. Fortunately I'd thrown in a few frames or I'd have had a mess. After bees moved in, a few days later I carefully added 2 more frames.

I have a friend where I have a bait box set up, one moved in on Saturday. I'm hoping she's ok with leaving it til next Saturday--we are talking later today.

Also, all my bait boxes have 1 frame of drawn comb and lemongrass oil.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I put foundationless frames in my bait hives as well. Many of the are scattered around the state, so it may be weeks before i can get to them to collect the wams. I too like to wait a week or so before moving them. by then they have some comb drawn and usually by the time i get to them some brood to discourage them from absconding. This year I'll have some drawn combs to add as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My traps are ten frame boxes I have three frames with 1 inch I've of drawn comb across the top. I leave them in a trap for one week then I relocate them to another yard. This is my first. I'm just doing what I've read on here. So far it's working.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts