Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and thanks for looking over my question, and apologies if this is a second post. I thought already posted this, but I don't see it in my history.

This morning I was able to catch my first swarm, however it was more involved than I would have liked. In short, the bees were about 20' high and it took four tries with a fruit picker before we cut the branch, let it fall (but we did try and catch it) and we scooped as many bees as possible. Plus there were already bees in the box from the previous attempts.

I left the Nuc on a ladder in the same general location and everything looks like I would hope. The bees were covering the outside, and they have all settled in and things look like I'd expect if I had the queen. I did not see them fanning, however I have not really looked at this time, as I want to them to relax.

My question:

My plan is to leave the nuc on the ladder in the same spot for one full day to allow the bees to settle in, and I'm wondering if a day is enough time before I relocate them? My thinking is that they did not choose the nuc box, so I'm wondering if more days might help keep them from absconding? Make them feel more welcomed and all~

I should also add that the location is not ideal due to the driveway, but I'm OK for a day or so.

TIA
b1rd

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
Tomorrow will tell. If the bees are still in the box, you probably got the queen and all is well. Check the area around the branch and look for any clumps of bees to be sure. The queen would be in the clump. If all the bees appear to be in the nuc, go ahead and place them where you want them. The longer they stay in that location, the harder it will be to move them later. Once placed, give them a week or two to settle in before attempting an inspection. It usually takes a few days for the queen to start laying again. I like to wait until I see pollen coming in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The longer they stay in that location, the harder it will be to move them later.
I like to wait until I see pollen coming in.
Thanks. This helps a lot.

b1rd

PS- And I do want to add that today was one of the most exciting days I've had in a very long time. Go bees.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(( SUCCESS! ))

Thanks again for the help, and I'm happy to report that I did move the bees about an hour before sunrise to their permanent location about 150 yards away, and when I checked back this evening around 5:30, it looked like I would have hoped. Lots of in & out activity and very few bees left over at the old location.

It's fun, isn't it!
I'm still on a high.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts