Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had lots of swarm calls over the last few weeks (one or two a day!). Yesterday I asked the homeowner to suit up so he could video my BEE BUCKET in action. He did a great job: check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FAiOB9MzIY.

Of course not every swarm is that easily accessible....but plenty of them are. The real key is being able to see what's inside the jug. I have two wooden poles (from Home Depot or Lowe's) with a 1" PVC coupling and short nipple on one end so I can put the recycled water jug on either one. My other pole is 16 feet long and I put 1" threaded PVC adapters on both poles so if need be I can screw them together. I've easily captured swarms that were 30' up in a tree with my feet firmly on the ground.

I cut the bottom off a 5-gallon water jug using the table saw and rip fence...just rolling the jug into the blade to get a nice neat cut. To attach the pole I used two 1 1/4" PVC couplings. I securely glued one to a 1 1/4" nipple then stuck on through the bottle neck to see how much to cut off on the inside (to be flush) and where to cut the pipe on the outside for the second coupling. After shortening the inside coupling, I put Marine Goop on the pipe, stuck it out the bottle neck and then glued the second coupling on to secure things together. A 1 1/4" x 1" bushing, a short piece of 1" PVC and a 1" coupling complete the bucket.

Ain't it great!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very cool, will be building on this weekend. Can you post a pic of the connection between the bottle and pole?

Thanks
Blueline

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
That is sweet! Thanks for sharing. A real gem for those who are not fond of ladders and heights.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
742 Posts
AWSOME!! I have used 5 gallon buckets, but like you say is hard to see what you are doing.

Consider that idea stolen and a new project in the future.

G3

·
Registered
251 Posts
that was too cool 37 seconds. Look like you had done that before. I have only caught one and it went good but that is the trick. Thanks for posting
Peace

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
742 Posts
I will need your pass word to see the pics in the link you posted!!

try something different please.

G3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts