Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start off by saying this is my fist year with bees and have little to no experience with them. so about 3-4 weeks ago my grandma calls and says she has a swarm on her fence, i head over put it in a box and transport it to my hive. they seem to be doing good, and have started capping honey. Heres the thing I have yet to see the queen or see any brood. any ideas? should i have seen brood by now? what are my options buying a queen, getting some brood from my aunt.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes. You should have seen brood by now. If your aunt has brood you can get, that would be great. They may be queenless, and need resources to make a queen.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Sometimes a virgin queen is with the swarm and they take a while to get going. Have a look at the center of the cluster and see if any cells are polished, a sign that they are awaiting eggs. A couple of years ago the same thing happened to me, and after I had shook the supposedly queenless cluster in front of a hive I found a small patch of eggs in some polished cells in the middle frame. I have usually seen these cells at the top of the frame. If you see nothing go ahead and buy a queen.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
In my experience the smaller swarms tend to have virgins, afterswarms.

Finding a virgin, especially a black one can very difficult.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes, I would give them some open brood today.For the same reason as beeman, but also to keep the hive from a laying worker. I have never seen a hive develop a laying worker when there is open brood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts