Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Woke up, went to the patio door and saw this!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qz19rcvl9f7fyo2/20140518_082230.jpg

There are very few in the box. Would you brush them in or wait and hope they move in on their own? I will wait a bit, but I don't want to lose them. What would you do? I was gone most of the day yesterday, they came sometime after 10am.

Add another deep 5 to the top?

·
Registered
650 Posts
So queenie is probably right in the middle somewhere and if they've had some nice weather and haven't moved yet, I'd take a gal. milk jug with the bottom cut off and just slide it up the wall and dump in the box. Slide it up the adjacent wall and dump. Then just leave them for awhile and move in the evening to their permanent location. Have fun, good luck.

Also being in FL it looks to me that you may need some more ventilation if you're going to keep them in the trap. That could be why they haven't moved in. If you have other 5 frame nucs with regular bottom boards that you can adjust the entrance I'd scoop them into that and save your trap for another location and another swarm.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm watching them and they do seem to be slowly walking in. I will watch awhile longer--Brandy that's a good idea. I would love to add another box but I remember reading about once I lift the lid they don't feel safe. Maybe I can do that in a few days. I'm so glad I don't have to work today, I would have to call in late!

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
I had this one a few weeks ago that would not fit overnight into a four Jumbo depth frame trap. As soon as I moved the frames into an eight frame box they moved in, after stinging the crap out of me. Crack the lid and see if it is jammed packed. It could be a humongous swarm that will not fit.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Odfrank, I hoped you would chime in with all your experience. I put another 5 framer on top. There were bees inside but not packed by any means. After adding the 2nd story deep nuk which had 2 drawn comb on each end and 3 foundationless in the middle, I went for a walk. When I got back, no bees were going into the box where before that, ultra slow they were going in. I saw a lot of waggle dance on the outside swarm.

I went in the house for awhile, maybe 20 min, remembered to use a bit of lgo and dip in queen juice on a small piece of paper towel, put that just under the lid. By the time I got back out, the outside of the box swarm was gone. I put in the paper towel and started looking around. There were still bees in the box and flying around. I found a cluster about half the size of the original on a branch 10 feet up, 20 feet away. Got a bucket, knocked most of them in and put them in the hive.

I'm glad you mentioned the stinging because when I did that with the small swarm, I smelled the angry smell right away. Bees were buzzing me. I had my protection on so no sting but that did concern me.

As of this morning there are still plenty of bees buzzing around the box. I need to go later and put the 2 frames I'd pulled before dumping bees back into the box. Maybe I will do that tomorrow. If they stay that is.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
You might have multiple queens in that swarm. Saw several of those this year, especially after bad weather had delayed them.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here it is almost a week later, bees are still in the box.
When I went to put in the 2 frames I'd pulled from adding second story a couple days later, main nuk had lots of bees, not so many in 2nd story. I think there were 2 swarms and a small one left, like Odfrank suggested.

I got another swarm out at a country bait box that today I went to move into a 10 frame. They were so packed that I was unfortunately smashing bees as I took frames out to move to 10 framer. I knew at the end of April that they had moved in and that they had 4 frames drawn at that time. Today was the first I got out there to transfer them to 10 frame hive and because I waited too long it was a bit of a mess. I had a couple medium frames in the box--I've done that before without a problem but today they were falling off because of being packed full of honey and brood and pollen and comb still soft. It's an awesome colony. I got a couple tiny ones so far this spring too. A real mixed bag but they sure are fun.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm curious at the mention of angry b's in a swarm --- I had always heard they were pretty mellow in the swarm.

Might be a really aggressive strain?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I had this one a few weeks ago that would not fit overnight into a four Jumbo depth frame trap. As soon as I moved the frames into an eight frame box they moved in, after stinging the crap out of me. Crack the lid and see if it is jammed packed. It could be a humongous swarm that will not fit.

Nice iris:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts