Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a swarm from a real healthy hive. Here is a picture my son took of the swarm http://home.comcast.net/~khaas15/Swarm2010.JPG

So, I am going to introduce a new queen and through posting at this site found out that I should take all the swarm cells out of the hive before I introduce her.

Today my brother and I went through the hive and removed all the cells that we would find. Here's my question.

What if I missed a swarm cell. If I introduce my new queen will she be accepted? Will she kill the queen in the swarm cell?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Shake the bees off each frame as you are inspecting for swarm cells to cut. That wasy you won't miss one.

·
Registered
650 Posts
OK, so I understand I'm asking this after the fact, but why cut out the swarm cells from a Healthy Strong Hive, already adapted to your area etc... then introduce an unknown queen??? You may know more than I, like they didn't produce, were aggressive, etc... But if they were healthy enough to swarm, made it through your winter, I would want to keep those cells. Maybe put the extra's in a nuc etc... Just wondering....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to introduce a new queen for several reasons.

1) my hive is in the middle of an urban area and I wanted to get the gentlest bee's possible (I know there's not guarantee).

2) I wanted to be sure that the queen in the hive mated successfully. I don't have many wild bee's around and was told that the more drone's a bee mates with the more successful she will be.

3) I wanted a Carny because we have cold winters.

I could go on but I think you get the point.

Anyway, I must have gotten rid of about 6 or so queen cells. The hive was pretty PO'd and was making me a little nervous. There is the possibility that I missed one. But regardless, even if the virgin queen wins at least I will still have a queen. I will check the hive a few weeks after I introduce her to see how things are going.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts