Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a carni queen I got last summer. The hive is very strong,so I took her out and put her in nuc with pollen, honey ,brood and nurse bees. The question is after 8 days can I go into hive get capped queen cells out and put them in nuc. Then put the old queen back in the same hive using a push cage. Has anyone done this before? Thanks Steve

·
Registered
848 Posts
Michael: after 8 days of the queen being out of the hive & going in a nuc, Before she could be put back in the hive wouldn't she be ball like a strange queen?
I would think they would kill her unless she was caged.Mark,,,,,,,

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
I have often put a queen in a queenless hive that was on a frame of her bees with her attendants and have never seen them treat her as a stranger, even if she was. This one was their queen eight days ago...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have often put a queen in a queenless hive that was on a frame of her bees with her attendants and have never seen them treat her as a stranger, even if she was. This one was their queen eight days ago...
Very intriging!

So to introduce a young queen to a strong hive, would it make sense to pull some frames from the strong hive and introduce the new queen into a NUC. Once she is laying good, pull a single frame covered with nurse bees and the new queen from the NUC. Then pull a frame of nurse bees with the old queen from the hive. Exchange the two frames.

Or is a newspaper combine of a NUC with new queen, after removing the old queen a safer way to proceed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts